Sunday, June 17, 2012

All About Med School


While brushing my teeth this morning I glanced out at the house parking lot and was amused by how similar all the cars were.  Parked behind Phi Rho are four Camrys, two Impalas, three Accords, two Civics, and one lonely Ford Edge crossover.  I have entered the world of the mid- to late- twenty-somethings - the land of the young professionals.  Two of my closest friends here are 26 and 29 (to my 20); everyone in the house is at least three years older than I am.  For the most part, the age gap is barely noticeable and I usually forget about it, but from time to time differences between this crowd and that of the undergrads jump out at me.  Some of these differences are humorous it seems like someone runs off to a wedding almost every other day – while others are more unnerving.  For example, the med students mention debt quite a bit.  A few days ago my friend Katy (talking about undergraduate loans) said nonchalantly, “well I was able to pay off about $10,000 dollars last year, and if I keep budgeting well I hope to pay off another $8,000 this year and then I will only have $4,000 to go!”  Yikes!  However, my housemates have instructed me that I am not allowed to start worrying about debt until at least after I’ve graduated from Juniata.  So I’m ok for now.

One of the perks of living in a house full of medical students is getting an inside look at med school.  Again, there are unsettling aspects; for example, most of the second years are all but invisible because they have shut themselves away in order to finish the months long process of studying for the Boards, a cumulative exam that weighs heavily on the residency position they will receive (again, I have been told I am not allowed to worry about this yet).  But it’s also very cool to hear them sit around and discuss cases they encounter during rotations or situations from recent classes.  I have gotten to hear about many of the fun traditions at Iowa’s med school and learn about their future aspirations, and it is all extremely interesting.  Yesterday I got very excited about the idea of med school because an MD/PhD student told me about the various classes he has taken here.  His favorite course was anatomy lab because, “when you pick up the scalpel and prepare to make your first cut, it hits you that you are being trusted with the opportunity to do something that most people in the world are prohibited from doing.  The power and responsibility of the position you are training for really hits you in that moment!”  It is clear the med students are all very passionate about learning, science, and medicine.  I cannot wait to join their ranks!  

It has also been very informative to discuss with my housemates why they chose to come to Iowa over other med schools.  In talking with them I am learning what to look for and what questions to ask when I begin my search.  Many of the current med students did not come here directly after undergrad, but took time to do things like serve in the military, conduct research, or join the Peace Corps
; since I am planning on taking a gap year between undergrad and med school, it is reassuring to know that I will not be out of the ordinary.  With the gap year I still have three years until I start medical school, but I am already looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment